Addicted to the HP Palmtop?
Addicted to the HP Palmtop?
I was thinking about our Palmtops and the effects they have on our lives and the lives of our friends, spouses and other family members. In a CompuServe message someone mentioned being addicted to their Palmtop. I decided to go back to my medical books and dig out the official DSM-III-R (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) definition of addiction or as they call it "substance dependence" (in this case, the Palmtop is the substance). Below is the definition - see if it doesn't fit to your use of the Palmtop! If three out of the nine describe your relationship with the Palmtop, your an addict. I've added comments after each criteria, proving that I am (and most of you) are addicted to the HP Palmtop.
"Honey I'll only be on the Palmtop 5 more minutes - I promise!" .... 20 minutes later ..... "Sorry honey, only 5 more minutes!"
- 1. The Substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than the person intended.
- 2. Persistent desire, or one or more unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.
"Where can I get the new 200LX? I need it now!!!" or from your loved one, "Honey, it's 3am - turn that thing off and get into bed!!"
- 3. A great deal of time spent in activities necessary to get the substance, taking the substance or recovering from its effects.
"Where is Dr. Zweibel? Is he still playing with that computer toy of his? The patient's turning blue and we need him quickly!" or "Honey, keep your eyes on the road and put that computer away while you are driving!!")
- 4. Frequent intoxication or withdrawal symptoms when one is expected to fulfill major obligations at work, school or home, or continued use of substance when it is physically hazardous.
"Where is Steve? This party is great!!" "He's at home installing acCIS 3.0 on his Palmtop!"
- 5. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities given up or reduced because of 'substance' abuse.
"I know we'll be late to our wedding, but I MUST back up my RAM card first and answer all those HPHAND forum messages!"
- 6. Continued substance use despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent social, psychological, or physical problem that is caused or exacerbated by the use of the substance
"I really need a 10MB flashRAM card -- this 2MB card is just not doing the job!" or "I wish the Palmtop had a Pentium processor and 10 Gigabytes of internal memory!"
- 7. Need for increased amounts of the substance (at least a 50% increase) in order to achieve intoxication or desired effect, or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount.
"What do you mean I'll be without my Palmtop for two days to get it fixed!? That's impossible! I NEED it to function!"
- 8. Characteristic withdrawal symptoms when substance is removed.
"Great - you mean Express Exchange sends me another unit BEFORE I send them my old one so I am never without a Palmtop!!"
- 9. Substance often taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.
So, according to the above definitions - are you addicted to your Palmtop?
CompuServe ID: [71543,1345]
Notice about Palmtop.net
Palmtop Network with its S.U.P.E.R. (Simply
Unbeatable Palmtop Essentials Repository) software is now
available under the domain name of
|We buy used palmtops,
working or broken: HP 200LX, HP 100LX and 1000CX.